Mauretania Public House, Bristol

Located at the foot of the steeply-inclined Park Street in Bristol, the Mauretania Public House is a Grade II listed building originally constructed in 1870. In 1938 a bar/restaurant complex was added, using fittings from the decommissioned liner RMS Mauretania. Although subsequently renamed Bar III the moving neon sign – the oldest in Bristol – remains, presenting an excellent representation of the legendary four-stacker that held the Atlantic Blue Riband for 22 years, during which time her only rival was her ill-fated sister ship, the Lusitania.

© Christopher Seddon 2008