St Andrew’s Church, Surbiton, is a fine Grade II listed building located situated at the junction of St Andrew’s Road and Maple Road, It was constructed between 1871 and 1872 at a cost of £6,602 with money gifted by Angela Burdett-Coutts, granddaughter of the banker Thomas Coutts whose not inconsiderable wealth she inherited. The architect was Arthur Blomfield, who was later knighted and became Vice-President of RIBA.
The Cathedral Church of the Holy Spirit, Guildford is an Anglican cathedral at Guildford, Surrey. The Grade II listed building was designed by Sir Edward Maufe. Construction began in 1936, but due to the war and a postwar lack of funds, was not completed until 1961. In the 1950s, funds were raised to complete the church by the then novel approach of asking the public to sponsor bricks for 2/6 (12.5 pence) each. Sponsors were entitled to sign their names on their bricks. Sponsors included HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, both of whom duly handed over five bob for the privilege.
In August 2016, the Cathedral was undergoing an extensive program of restoration.
Located midway between Amersham and Great Missenden, Little Missenden is an attractive Chiltern village noted for its fine Saxon church, parts of which date back to around AD 975. Bearing a striking resemblance to cave art from the Palaeolithic Era, remarkable ancient wall paintings can be seen on the north wall inside the church.
© Christopher Seddon 2009